NOTE: You need to plan ahead for this one, at least one week—or two weeks if you can. Buy the Peeps now, since they are hard to get after the Easter season (if you don't have them already)!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1. One package of Peeps (or plain marshmallows, if you cannot find Peeps)
2. A resealable zip-top bag
3. Paper plates
4. A marker or crayon
5. Microwave oven
Here’s what to do:
1. Open your package of Peeps (or regular marshmallows), and remove all of them.
2. Place one half of the package in the resealable zip top bag, and seal it very carefully.
3. Leave the other half of the Peeps on the counter or on the same shelf as the ones in the zip-top bag exposed to the air for one or two weeks (the longer the better!).
4. After one or two weeks have gone by, remove your Peeps from the shelf and place two of them on a paper plate: one that was stored in the zip-top bag, and one that was exposed to the air. Be sure to remember which Peep is which! You may want to make a mark with a marker or crayon on the paper plate next to the peep from the zip-top bag to help with this.
5. Place the paper plate with these Peeps in the microwave, and set the microwave to run for 1 minute on its highest setting.
6. Watch both Peeps carefully to see what happens! Be careful that neither of the Peeps start to burn (if you smell something burning or see smoke, STOP THE MICROWAVE IMMEDIATELY!!).
What happened to the Peeps while the microwave was running? What happened to the one that was kept in a zip-top bag? Did the one kept exposed to air behave any differently? What could be the explanation for any differences? (Remember that the reason the Peeps get bigger is because of the water inside them.) Be sure to write down everything you observed!